Best Made Spatula Field Co
Minimalistic design meets utterly practical construction. Cut and carved by hand, this unassuming but elegant spatula is sanded seven times and soaked in three different oil baths for a flawless finish. Made with reclaimed American walnut wood, it’s sealed to ensure it remains in beautiful condition for years to come. For your more ambitious culinary pursuits — or simply to scrape a bit of leftover food off pots and pans — this spatula can do no wrong. Creator Allison Samuels’ unique process results in a smooth, masterfully made piece that redefines the standard cooking utensil. The straight head makes it easy to perform all manner of activities, from a slow sautée to stirring furiously. The wood is sustainably sourced from fallen trees in Brooklyn’s Prospect Park, which Samuels fittingly protects with a gentle and antimicrobial coat of propolis (beeswax) and mineral oil.
- Approximately 12”-15” long in total
- Spatula head approx. 3.5” x 2”
- Handle approx. 9”-11” long
- Reclaimed American walnut
- Mineral oil
- Apply an even coat of food-safe oil with a clean cotton cloth – we recommend an oil blend like that from Blackcreek Mercantile Trading Co – once a month, or whenever the wood feels dry.
- Allow the oil to fully penetrate the wood’s fibers overnight, wiping off any excess oil and leaving to dry standing on edge.
- With use your spatula will lose its initial “softness,” which is easily restored by giving it a quick scuff sand with 320-grit sandpaper.
- Be sure to sand along the direction of the grain.
- Wipe away dust before applying an even coat of oil, and let this soak into the fibers for about 15 minutes before sanding with 400-grit wet-dry sandpaper to buff the raised grain.
- Let this dry overnight, and the following day apply a very thin coat of oil, which should be left again to air dry for a day at least before using as normal.
- Use gentle soaps and water to clean, and towel / air dry.
- Never leave your wood to soak in water, and never put in the dishwasher.
- Made in the USA