You don’t get sympathy in a country where the national flower is the thistle. But the inhabitants of Scotland’s Shetland Islands never expected it. What they expected, for hundreds of years, was long cold nights fishing the treacherous seas and backbreaking work hauling in the catch each dawn. The sheep that originated in the Shetland Islands were likewise hearty and hardworking. Yet their wool is also soft and fine, making Shetland Sweaters some of the most enjoyable and comfortable you can wear.
Today, Shetland sheep are raised worldwide (including in New Zealand, where our wool is sourced), but their wool retains the same lofty, lightweight yet highly durable character that once shrugged off North Atlantic winds. It’s what we’ve used to craft this hefty crew neck Shetland Wool Sweater. And naturally we’ve built in all the extras you expect from Duluth, including better-fitting fully fashioned sleeves and resilient rib neck, cuffs and hem with spandex yarns added to prevent sagging and bagging. We even knitted in Armpit Gussets for ease of movement – something you won’t find anywhere else. Give a Shetland sweater as a gift, and you can be sure it’ll long be cherished.
- Inspired by the sweaters worn by Shetland Island fishermen for warmth in jaw-clenching cold
- Soft, warm wool from Shetland sheep is exceptionally strong, resilient and retains its insulating ability even when wet
- Every sweater is "knit to fit," not cut and sewn, so there's no excess bulk in the shoulders or sleeves
- Armpit Gussets for more reaching room when hauling in a heavy-laden fishing net or raising a glass to toast your crew
- Spandex in rib-knit cuffs and hem spring back into shape no matter how much you stretch 'em
- Generous Tradesman Fit